Skip to main content


Randi Weingarten at a Massachusetts high school

Summer is upon us, and parents, children and teachers are winding down from what has been an exhausting and fully operational school year—the first since the devastating pandemic. The long-lasting impact of COVID-19 has affected our students’ and families’ well-being and ignited the politics surrounding public schools. All signs point to the coming school year unfolding with the same sound and fury, and if extremist culture warriors have their way, being even more divisive and stressful.

Randi Weingarten and NYC teacher Tamara Simpson

Attacks on public education in America by extremists and culture-war peddling politicians have reached new heights (“lows” may be more apt), but they are not new. The difference today is that the attacks are intended not just to undermine public education but to destroy it.


Now that you are retired and want to do some short call substitute teaching, do you need to renew your current active license?  No.

What do I need to do get a license for short call substitute teaching?  Apply for a Lifetime Short Call Substitute Teaching License with the following steps: 

Go to the PEL(Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board – replacing the Board of Teaching) website:


Click on the Current Educators tab


In the drop down click on:  Apply for Additional License


Click on 2. Application for Lifetime Substitute


Print off the Application for a Lifetime